Missouri History | Historic
Landmarks | Historical
Places in Arcadia, Missouri
Lodging, Bed and Breakfast Inns, Hotels, Cabins,
Cottages and Campgrounds near Arcadia click
of our fine hosts are ready to help plan your Missouri history
tour of Arcadia, MO.
1895 Map Arcadia,
Missouri and surrounding area.
Arcadia, Missouri ~ History and Landmarks, Iron County,
Ursuline Academy - Arcadia College Historic
District ~ on the National Register of Historic Places
- also formerly known as the Academy of Ursuline Sisters
When Iron County was organized there were two villages within
its borders, Arcadia and Middlebrook. Arcadia
was laid out in 1849 and incorporated in 1879.
It owes its existence to what was the Arcadia High School.
The institution was founded by Rev. J. C. Berryman, and conducted
under the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
** "The school was a grand
success, and from it graduated many of the best citizens of
Southeast Missouri." A short time prior to the
Civil War, he became the proprietor of the institution, but
due to the war, was forced to abandon it. From 1861-1863,
the buildings were used as a military hospital.
Afterwards, Mr. Berryman reopened the school and continued
it until 1867.
In 1869 Rev. L. M. Lewis purchased the school, and by
the "liberal donations of citizens erected a new brick
building, but becoming embarrassed financially he transferred
the property to a joint stock company, composed of those who
had furnished the most of the means to build the new edifice.
From that time, by an amended charter, it became know as Arcadia
College. In 1875 Professor C. O. Jones took charge of
the college, but failed to make it a success and a few years
later it was transferred to the Ursuline Sisters for the amount
of the indebtedness upon it." The Academy flourished
under the Ursuline Sisters and was greatly expanded
from 1888 through 1930. The last students to attend
the Academy graduated in 1970-71.
Tour this magnificent 17 acre campus with its mature trees,
stone retaining walls and nine historic buildings, collectively
on the National Register of Historic Places. Stroll
through the campus and view the grotto, cemetery and spring
house. Of particular note is the St. Joseph Chapel
with some of the most amazing stained glass windows in the
world. Beautiful inside and out, it is now used for weddings,
as well as religious services.
The Academy is a magnificent study of architecture.
The famous spring still gushes crystal clear water. Now privately
owned, it is operated by such businesses as, Thee Abbey Kitchen,
Academy Antiques, Hen House Antiques, Academy Bed & Breakfast
and Nostalgic Place Bed & Breakfast. The campus
is located at 128 East College St. in Arcadia just off of
Whistle Junction Visitor Center & Museum, Hwy 21, Arcadia,
For lodging and accommodations in Arcadia, Missouri click
you are researching genealogy in Arcadia, Missouri, please see
page for helpful information and resources. Better yet, travel
to our region for a
family history vacation and see for yourself!